Monday, March 24, 2014

the heart beneath



Light Blue Blouse ~ Walmart
Cream Cami ~ Walmart
Black Maxi Skirt ~ Dollar General (who would have thought???)
Black Boots ~ Shoe Sept.
Assorted Bracelets ~ Walmart
Flower Bloom Necklace ~ Walmart




It is *officially* Spring!  It certainly hasn't kept the weather from ignoring that fact entirely, but it is comforting to see less snow and more birds.  :-)

Spring sales are also happening everywhere!  Recently I have been finding amazing deals on clothing (for all different seasons).


I have been loving wearing more colors of a light/airy/spring nature!  Even though it is still quite brisk outside, cheery colors really help to lift the spirits! 

Oh... and I really need to stop falling in love with white blouses (they are just so dreamy!).


So, are you dressing for spring?

What is your favorite thing about winter ending and spring beginning?  Mine is just being out and about more often.  My hubby and I have been out driving/shopping so much more recently and I love the fun times together!  Plus, driving to see my family is SO much easier now that we're not snowed in!
AND I also love not having numb hands and feet constantly!  ;-)


Lastly, I want to share something that's been on my mind this morning...

Yesterday my Dad preached from the gospel of Matthew.  He walked us through part of the passage where Jesus talked about outwardly keeping the law vs. missing the heart of the law (Matt. 5:21-30).   The Jewish people had been taught a works-based life by their religious leaders until Christ came to set the record straight.  He told them that not only did murdering someone break God's law, but seething with hatred towards someone made you guilty of the same.  This is where the heart of the law is important.  Where man sees the outward actions, God sees the thoughts and intents of the heart.  That is why hate is like murder and lust is like adultery... they all grieve the heart of God.  Even King Saul was told that "obedience is greater than sacrifice"- all the outward signs meant nothing if they didn't come from a heart of obedience towards God.

As Christians, we are no longer under the law, but under grace.  But, also as Christians, we are to live a life that honors God.  He still calls us to obedience and holiness... and He still sees the heart beneath our outward appearances.

So comes my challenge: what would your outward actions be if they reflected your heart? 

There is this movement of modest dressing of which I have become part.  And, don't get me wrong, it is wonderful to see other women striving to present themselves in a way that honors God and protects their brothers.  But there is a much bigger issue of modesty than just clothing. 

"Your adornment must not be merely external — braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God." 1 Peter 3:3-4 (emphasis mine)

What if your inner thoughts were your outward dress?  Would you be clothed in beauty?  Would you show Christ? 
Whew... that makes me cringe.  I have so much growing to do. 
I am so thankful that our Lord is gracious, forgiving, and loving always!  He also gives the strength to do what we could never do on our own.  It is a great challenge, but He is greater and higher than any of our downfalls. 

Have a blessed day, my friends!

3 comments:

Ashley B. said...

Oh! I love your outfit! That black maxi and your beautiful top were made for each other! Very cute! =)

Ariel Skye said...

Love this outfit! And the awesome part is you found most of this at Walmart and Dollar General! Awesome!

Spiritually Healthy said...

What a wonderful, thought-provoking post, Rachel! Thank you for the reminder and questions to ponder over.

Blessings,
Sarah

Oh, and the skirt is just lovely! I'll have to keep my eyes open when I pop into Dollar General from now on. :-)