Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Just Can't Understand...

... how this child does it!



How he opens his eyes while I'm rinsing his hair,
screams when he thinks soap is in his eyes,
cries until he is finally pulled out of the tub and wrapped in a towel...

Yet,
he looks up only five minutes later
 at his frustrated sister and whispers,
"I'm sowwy I sqweamed."
and all is forgiven.

How does he do it?


How he one minute is hefting a gallon of milk from the fridge-
"I'm so stwong!"-,
and the next has milk dripping out of his mouth
onto his shirt...
onto his hands...
onto the floor...
while the, once again frustrated, older sister grabs paper towel to wipe the floor,
his little hands,
his perfect, cherub face.

How he looks so sorry,
yet, this older sister knows,
he's laughing inside at how goofy it all was.
And still I smile and clean the mess.

How does he do it?


This child makes me wonder if I will be a terrible mom.
Or if I'm even cut out to be a mom at all someday.
He makes me so mad.
He makes me act as if I'm the three-year-old, not him!

Yet, he makes me smile as he cuddles on the couch for a book.
He plays with toy animals and makes me laugh as,
once again,
the tiger eats all the other animals.
He makes me want to have lots of little boys.

He is one of the most frustrating people in my life.
I will never understand this boy.

He is one of the most wonderful people in my life.
I will never cease to love this boy.


Thank you for the moments tonight, Danny.

Thank you for this little boy, God.

I love you both.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

All I have to say is that I love this post and echo your thoughts exactly. This was very sweet Rachel--how gracious God is to give us more and more grace in such moments!

~Melanie

Maiden Princess said...

Beautiful!