Friday, November 11, 2011

Of Melting Snowflakes and Little Girls...


*deep sigh of joy*

The first snow has come
and gone.
It was so light that it
melted almost
instantly.
But some clung to a
lawn chair
long enough for me to
capture it.
Immortalize it.



On a different
(but not too different)
 note:

I've found myself counting the "lasts" in my life.
As my life continues to change,
as siblings grow older,
as new seasons come,
I've been realizing how precious this time is.

This morning Mom asked me to
change Bekah's diaper and put
clean clothes on her.

I scooped her little body up
into my arms...
her own little arms
cold from a short-sleeved
nightgown.
I held her close and
carried her off
to the bedroom.
She snuggled against me,
patted my shoulder with her hand,
and,
as we passed a mirror,
I saw that her
little face
held a slight smile and her
little eyes
were closed.

After changing her and
dressing her
warmly, I stopped-

How much more
time do I have
left to do
this?

I won't be here
forever...
and she won't
always be this
small.

Just like snowflakes,
melting too quickly,
little baby girls
grow up.

And its a joy to see her
grow...
But I don't want it to happen too
fast.

So I
immortalized our
brief moment
together this
morning.


Isn't she amazing?

Oh, precious Bekah...
I wish I could sweep you
away to
Neverland
so you would
always be my
tiny
baby sister.
But,
from what I've experienced so far,
you won't mind growing up
too badly.
It can be so special too.
Just don't let to happen
too fast,
okay?

Stay a little snowflake for a while.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Precious. Rachel, this post is precious. I have no other word. ~

Anonymous said...

Honey, this is priceless. Thanks for always looking for the little things and stopping at each rose to breathe in it's fragrance! Yours is a blessed life.
Love,
Marmee

Jenn Noelle said...

This is just totally darling. It's those little moments we must remember, hmm? ♥