Monday, September 24, 2012

Modestly Monday {No. 8} I Dreamed a Dream



This week's outfit has a bundle of pictures to go with it!
My sister, Jessica, took so many shots that turned out so nicely that I couldn't get it down to the usual three or four.  :-)  She did such a good job of capturing the mood and style of this outfit that I had to share!












Black Long-Sleeved Shirt: ???... I've had it for years!
Burgundy Skirt: Thrifted
Light Blue/Grey Vest: Thrifted
Black Floral Scarf: Walmart
Black Netted Flats: Walmart


Just a thought to wrap this up... since your mind is now on clothing:
When I first started my endeavor to dress modestly, I thought it was the hardest thing ever to find clothes (cute clothes!) that covered.  I joined with other women, bemoaning the fact that our society was making it impossible to be fashionable and appropriate at the same time. 
As the years have gone by though and as my knowledge of what works and what doesn't, what styles can be "tweeked", and how to accessorize, I've realized that it isn't hard at all!  It's actually really fun!
It spikes those creative juices in me.
Sometimes it brings out a bit of the crazy.

But, more than anything, as I continue to explore the world of clothes, fashion, and modesty, I see infinite possibilities... and I find so much joy in having a standard that will bring my Lord honor.
Knowing that my body belongs to my Lord, Him having bought it with the highest price of all in His shed blood, makes me desire more than anything to glorify Him with this outward form He has given me to live in on this earth.
Clothes really aren't that big of a deal.  No one has gotten saved because they dressed well and it definitely isn't a condition for salvation...
but, I do see it as the responsibility of the growing, maturing, Christian woman to take into account the power she has physically to either trip up the men around her, or to be honorable and moderate in her choice of dress.
And it really isn't this big job either!!!  For me it's simply part of what I do each day.

And it is FUN!
Isn't it awesome when your responsibilities bring you joy???!!!

So, I would encourage you, as a sister in Christ, to not overthink it!  Don't grumble about how the sizes in stores run so ridiculously small (I'm talking to myself here... skinny jeans irk me to no end!). Instead, be thankful for CamiSecrets, Half-Tees, flowy blouses, cute skirts, and a Lord that has made your soul clean and beautiful.  Your attitude makes such a difference if you are truly seeking to honor the Lord by the way you dress.

True beauty and modesty come from within...
your joy will outshine your outfit every time. 

God bless!

6 comments:

Nela said...

Lovely outfit, Rachel! Your hair is gorgeous btw. ;)

Josie said...

I love the outfit, Rachel! So pretty and feminine, and perfect for fall. I love the skirt especially. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your beauty is so much deeper than your skin!!! :)
Love you
Marmee

Natasha Atkerson said...

Lovely outfit, Rachel!
I agree completely! Although I do have to admit that I had a couple of years there were I rebelled (in the heart, not really the clothes) about modesty. And then God convicted me, and it became important to me. As you said, I now see it as a challenge, rather than a stumbling/road block.
Natasha
A Modest Fashion Blog:
www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

Nina said...

I love this outfit so much - and your thoughts were wonderful. Thank you. :)

Leah Nicolette said...

You're a cutie = )