Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Getting Creative!

I love creativity.  Very much.  If you could see my closet... you would know I have to be creative!  ;-)

One way that I've had to be very creative is my clothing.  In my mid-teens, God really convicted me about the way I was dressing.  So, after going through all of my clothing with my Dad and letting him throw out whatever he didn't deem to be modest (boy, that was hard and I lost a lot of my wardrobe), I set out on a new path.  I knew I loved being stylish...  or at least looking nice.  And I also knew that a lot of the "in" styles weren't modest at all.  So, what's a girl to do???  I could have worn a potato sack... that certainly would have been modest.



But I knew that wasn't what God would want me to do.  Was that the message I wanted to send to every person I met?  "If you want to be modest and honor God, you have to look plain, baggy, and downright unattractive!"  Ummm... NO!  So, I knew there was only one other option:  GET CREATIVE!

Layering has saved my life!  Having undershirts of lots of different colors has been such a help when putting together outfits!  Going to thrift stores...  altering shirts that didn't fit right but were too awesome to not buy!  Please take note:  I'm no seamstress!  If I can alter shirts, so can you!!!

I've also had fun with the "extras".  Shoes (I don't like wearing extremely high-heeled shoes... mostly because they really aren't good on your feet!  Also, only a couple inches of heel easily make me six feet tall... so, I'm tall enough without the extra!), jewelry  (I started with making it for myself in the colors I likes and it has blossomed into actual jewelry design and selling my creations!), having fun with hairstyles (you can actually do quite a bit with long hair), belts, and scarves... you name it!

One thing I tried recently while I was at Goodwill shopping was browse the dress section.  Now, I rarely do that since I much prefer wearing a skirt instead of a full-length dress usually.  But, this time I was on a mission.  And, guess what?  I was victorious!!!  I found a very pretty dress that fell a little above my knees.  It was too big, but the alterations were VERY easy and all I had to do was loosely tie the little sash around my waist, pull on a pair of jeans underneath, find some jewelry to match, and VOILA!


I wore this to church on a Wednesday night and the highlight for this outfit was when one of the older ladies at my church looked at me with a smile on her face.

"Most girls would think that's a dress, wouldn't they, Rachel?  But you know better!  It's a shirt!"

Yes, you can turn shorter dresses into very pretty, flowy, feminine blouses!!!  And for me, being a tall girl struggling to make the normal length of shirts work modestly, that is the best news I've heard in a long time!!!

Do you try to be creative with your styles???  If so, how?

6 comments:

Mary said...

Gorgeous!

Natasha Atkerson said...

Oh yes! Being modest is all about creativity!

By the way, I wanted to say that I personally would love if you did modest outfit posts! I enjoy that type of blog, and your closer to my age then any of the other fashion bloggers. Plus I've been on the look out for Christian fashion bloggers, so I thought I'd encourage one to start! Just an idea,
Natasha
A Modest Fashion Blog:
www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

Miss Eyebright said...

What a great idea! I have often found a dress or two that would be adorable, but I have had to forget because it is too short. Silly me. ;)

Melanie said...

Rachel!!!!!!!!!

Someone who understand being tall and trying to find dresses and heels etc...

LOL

:) Just had to say that. I'm the same--couple inch heels and I'm 6 ft...and I don't really want to be 6 ft, because God made me 5'9". But I do enjoy small classy heels every so often. :)

Also, one of my favorite things to do is dress over jeans just like you did above...so classy and beautiful!

Loved this post...thanks for sharing! :)

(I totally know what you are saying about hair and jewelry...being feminine and unique in those areas goes a long way towards making a outfit fun, modest, and beautiful!)

In Christ,
Melanie

Maiden Princess said...

Gorgeous outfit Rachel! You can totally pull it off. Not sure I would've thought of that but it looks marvelous. You always look preppy and yet feminine and modest in all the pictures I've ever seen of you. As another young woman striving for righteousness and holiness I thank you for your example and for showing us that we do not need to compromise our standards nor our Father's loving protection and boundaries when it come to dressing in a wholesome and fashionable way.

In His Love,
Maiden Princess

Suzanne said...

That is a beautiful outfit! When I go shopping I often take my dad with me, and he helps me find clothes that are modest.

This is a great post, thank you so much for sharing!

In His love and light,
Suzanne